Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am not sure that type of lawyer should answer this It is a

Customer Question

I am not sure that type of lawyer should answer this It is a combination of USA and international law. Here is the question. Years ago, my wife received her Kukkiwon certificate which is the documentation indicating that her ranking in Taekwondo is a fourth
degree Master. Kukkiwon, also known as the World Taekwondo Headquarters, and home of the World Taekwondo Academy, is the official taekwondo governing organization established by the South Korean government. It is supervised by the International Sports Division
of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism. Recently, controlling body in Korea decided that a Master is now a fifth degree instead of a fourth degree. Does the new agreement invalidate her previous rank, or should she have been grandfathered in?
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.
Have you checked her status at
https://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/pop.jsp
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Grandfathering a property right is (to the best of my knowledge) an English and US common-law concept. I don't know if such exists under Korean law. Both US and Korean courts will look at the bylaws of the organization, and its rules and regulations to determine what the change in classification means to prior holders. I strongly suspect that the connection with the organization to Korea would give precedence to Korean law on the general subject of a grandfathered property right.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it sounds like we dont have anything to stand on. It is curious that this move de-ranked alot of non-Korean members who had voting rights.
thanks for your answer
Have you checked her status at
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah its there but no title, just ranking.
Name Poom/Dan No. Issuance
MONICA BURTON 4 Dan (###) ###-####6/6/2008
That says she is 4th Dan.
Was she previously ranked higher than that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, but the physical paperwork says Master Monica Burton. So, if the paperwork says Master, how can the new rules undo that. To my knowledge, I have not found anything that says that all who were Masters at 4th degree are no longer considered masters
Do you have a copy of the document where they announced the change?