Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
12711280

My girlfriend had court on a monday but she had an operation

Customer Question

my girlfriend had court on a monday but she had an operation an was in the hostial an couldnt make court she called her probation officser an told her she was in the hostial she got staff infection but they locked her up anyway for falure to apeer she to took the paper work from the hosptal to the da an her court aported lawer but they still lock her up she has to go back in 2 days for more sergury on the same hand to close the womb but she in jail what do we do this seems not rite she could loose her finger if she dosent make it back to the dr
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
You need to take the following steps:
(1) You need to get information from the treating physician which illustrates her need for urgent medical care - this can come in the form of a letter on the doctor's letterhead;
(2) You need to provide this to the attorney representing her and ask that he or she file an emergency petition with the court to have her released to receive care;
(3) You need to also give a copy of the note to the prosecutor;
(4) You need to contact the North Carolina Attorney General's Office and make sure that they are aware of the situation and request that they intervene on her behalf;
(5) You should also contact the North Carolina American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and report this incident and request that they provide assistance.
Just because a person is incarcerated does not mean they loss the right to medical treatment. To the contrary, the state has an ethical obligation to see to it that adequate medical care is provided.
Let me know if you have any additional questions. If not, please rate my response positively.
Best wishes!
You have any other questions on this matter? Thanks