Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

Does going on Medicaid cut life shorter? Is it correct to think

Customer Question

Does going on Medicaid cut life shorter? Is it correct to think that going on Medicaid will hinder an older senior from getting better care or result in making them die sooner, or will the older person live longer because there will be less medical intervention which sometimes causes more harm. I am not sure how to word my question, but It comes from my experience seeing older people misdiagnosed for various diseases where it was simply a UTI or constipation or dehydration, or lack of magnesium or a bad tooth, and instead being given drugs which ended up causing secondary diseases landing them in rehabs where they get muscle atrophy, pneumonia and eventually they end up dying within a year. Where as had they been diagnosed properly from the start, they would be alive and well for another 30 years.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.

I have been involved in elder law, medicaid long term care, and related issues for many years.

All elderly residents have to meet a level of need to be admitted to long term care.They have to require 24 hour nursing care.They have to have conditions that compromise their health.

It has been my experience that overall they get better care in a long term care facility.They get the nursing care--not some untrained relatives that mean well but can no longer provide this level of care either physically or medically.

Overall nursing home residents have like a 90% chance to live five years or less.You don't get into long term care udner medicaid unless you have serious medical problems that put you at risk long term.There are problems in any hospital or nursing homes.MRSA and the " super bugs" are risks in any such facility.

There are also care issues in some facilities and some caregivers.There can be misdiagnosis or bad doctoring and the patients can be put at risk.But a lot of mediciaid residents have been living in poverty and not good conditions so a nursing home medically is better than where they were living.

Also all states have obmudsman that represent residents and work to ensure any problems care wise are brought to regulatory agencies attention and action taken.

The bot***** *****ne is that the truth here is in the middle.Some residents get bad care in a nursing home, some come from bad places and benefit from a regular nursing environment with a proper diet.All homes have dietitcians and social workers as well ass doctors and 24 hour nursing care.The resididents receive a level of personal care such as bathing, grooming, etc. that relatives can not usually match because of the physical demands.

Could we as a society do better, sure but there are some good points to nursing home care that get overlooked as I set out above.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Reference to ombudsman for NY, a great program..

http://www.ltcombudsman.ny.gov/

Some interesting stats, some support your arguments, some are the other way..

http://www.therubins.com/homes/stathome.htm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh, thank you for that great bit of information. You should write an article and expand on this and share your wisdom.. I appreciate your balanced experienced perspective greatly..

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
No problem.It does have two sides here.Have a great evening.

If you can leave a positive rating it is much appreciated.