N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer
Experience:  attorney at self
9653905

I live in ST. Louis Missouri. I worked physician and

Customer Question

I live in ST. Louis Missouri. I worked for a physician and quit due to sexual misconduct. I applied for the right to sue, notified the MO Board of Healing Arts, and the AOA.
Due to embezzlement on the physician's part, the other owners of the practice had him removed by way of a restraining order. The physician filed a defamation lawsuit against me, stating I was working with the other owners and basically came up with this lie about his sexual misconduct. The MO Board of Healing Arts has actually done the investigation and found the physician was self medicating with Testosterone, exchanging weight loss products for sexual favors in the exam rooms with women during office hours. According to the investigator it will take 6-80 months for this hearing against the physician to happen. His BNDD (drug license) has been suspended. The lawsuit he has against me is full of lies about me trying to ruin his reputation and cause him loss of income. Is the burden of proof on him to prove I did or said the things he is accusing me of, or is the burden of proof on me to prove I did not? I am not working, have no source of income to hire an attorney.. Any answers would be appreciated. Thank you.
Expert:  N Cal Atty replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
The plaintiff has the burden of proof.
You can get a free consultation from some of the local defamation attorneys listed at
http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/defamation/St-Louis/Missouri
Please follow up on this with a local attorney. You had a First Amendment right to complain to the authorities about sexual misconduct, and that could be a complete defense to the defamation claim, but you need a local attorney to review the complaint and go over the facts with you in confidence.
I hope this information is helpful.