LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
15277592

This question is to a canon lawyer of the Roman Catholic

Customer Question

This question is to a canon lawyer of the Roman Catholic Church. Can a confessor in confession bring up to a penitent sins of a previous confession without breaking the seal? Vince
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon Vince,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The obligation of the seal of a confession applies to the priest, and not to the party confessing. And of course if the penitent brought up the prior confession, the priest would certainly be allowed to discuss it.
The sacramental seal is inviolable; therefore it is absolutely forbidden for a confessor to betray in any way a penitent in words or in any manner and for any reason. However, the priest does not break the seal (betray the penitent) by discussing the previously confessed sins with the same penitent who confessed those sins. The seal would only be violated if the priest were to discuss the confession with a third party.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But are you canon lawyer in the RC church?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
Good morning,
I am not employed by the church, however, that does not make my researched answer to you incorrect either.
The seal would only be violated if the priest were to discuss the confession with a third party.
Doug
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but I asked for a RC Canon Lawyer. I know they have one, so I will look for him.
Vince
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 years ago.
I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.
Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.
There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.
I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.
Doug