Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

We live in north Carolina my wife and I were out of town recently

Customer Question

we live in north Carolina my wife and I were out of town recently and our daughters we're left home alone age 13 and 15 which was clearly a mistake their dad [ I am step dad ] was suppose to be here but did not come that said we found out while we were gone they had a party and its likely underage drinking was going on and we just found out Friday that the police we're called and came to the house . fortunately no one was arrested but I am positive in north Carolina the consequenses to my wife and I and the girls and the parents of the other kids here could have been bad if the police had determined underage drinking was involved or any other illegal activity In taking action to discipline them I would like to explain to the girls what the legal consequenses could have been under north Carolina law therefore please give me the legal consequeses of what could have happened
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you this morning.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
First, kudos to you for making this a teaching moment.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Aside from the criminal penalties for underage drinking, which range from fines to community service to delaying eligibility to get a drivers license, the biggest issue would be the parent or homeowner's exposure to liability for any injuries occurring from the underage drinking.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
It is not uncommon these days for parents to be sued for wrongful death when a teenage drinking party at their home turns tragic.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?