Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

In Indiana law if just released from civil ex-parte 2 yr order,

Customer Question

in Indiana law if just released from civil ex-parte 2 yr order, legally can I send her
a letter of forgivness and informor her I have cancer and dieing if she agrees to
see me one last time is it legal???.
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to Answer your question and all that I ask is that you leave a positive rating. It will not cost you anything, but without a positive rating, JustAnswer will not give the Experts credit for assisting customers, Fair enough ?
I am so sorry to hear of your illness and I will keep you in my prayers.
You asked,
"in Indiana law if just released from civil ex-parte 2 yr order, legally can I send her a letter of forgivness and informor her I have cancer and dieing if she agrees to see me one last time is it legal???."
ANSWER -
I truly believe your sincerity and I am sure that the last thing on your mind would be to cause a problem for anyone. From a purely technical standpoint if the Protection Order, or "Stay Away Order" was for 2 years and has now expired, then purely from a technical standpoint, you will not have violated any Order because it expired. Unfortunately, the law will not see it that way and if your actions are brought to the attention of the Judge, I can assure you that he will not look too kindly on your approach. I have seen similar situations in the past and on each such occasion the Judge became quite irate and always asked the same question, as follows -
"Why did you not think of giving your letter to a third and neutral party, to give to her." OR, he Judge would ask,
"Instead of having direct contact with her, why did you not use a neutral third party to deliver your message to her"? This would have avoided direct contact".
Knowing the reaction of Judges in these situations, I could not, in good conscience, advise you to simply go ahead and have direct contact with her, thereby putting yourself at risk with the Court and incurring the Judge's anger ?
Therefore, the only suggestion which I consider safe for you is to have a neutral third party go to speak to her and tell her of your situation, and she will have to make the decision. I do not want the Judge to penalize you and, although this might not be the approach you wanted or intended to take, I am strongly suggesting that you not have direct contact with her, either by letter, telephone, or otherwise. Have a neutral third party approach her, explain to heher your situation and what you want, and then she must be the one to decide.
________________________________________________
IWISH YOU THE VERY BEST.
PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO LEAVE A POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I WILL RECEIVE CREDIT FOR ASSISTING YOU,
POSITIVE FEEDBACK AND BONUS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED,
KINDEST REGARDS,
ANDREA