Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

I included email addresses of a public organization's

Customer Question

Hi - I included email addresses of a public organization's board of directors in a mailing, encouraging members of the public to contact them re. a controversial issue in our community. Is it illegal that I published the email addresses without permission? I thought it would be better than home addresses or phone numbers. If the letters went to the main generic address they may or may not have been distributed. The addresses can be found on Intelius and other search engines, so I believe they are public information. Please let me know if this is or is not correct and if I am in danger of lawsuit. Thanks -
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
The names and addresses are, generally, public information which must be filed each year and is by,nature, public information. So, as long as you are not inciting violence or threatening them with physical violence you have not done anything wrong.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any further questions before you rate my answer?