Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

Where can I get infro on the return of a engagement ring in

Customer Question

Where can I get infro on the return of a engagement ring in Indiana
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. An engagement ring is a specific type of conditional gift, a gift in contemplation of marriage. At the moment the marriage occurs, the gift is complete and belongs to the woman. If the marriage doesn't happen, then the condition is not met and the gift fails. Fowler v. Perry, 830 N.E.2d 97 (Ind. Ct. App. 2005). That is the first time a court sat down and addressed the issue in Indiana. There's one earlier case involving a diamond ring, but in that case, it didn't accompany a marriage proposal, so it's not exactly the same situation. Linton v. Hasty, 519 N.E.2d 161 (1988). Note that if for some reason the woman did not have the ring to return (or said she didn't), then she's required to pay the purchase price to the man who bought it. It is irrelevant why the parties didn't marry or who broke the engagement. If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.