Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Greetings! My son had filed a complaint on a undercover officer

Customer Question

Greetings!
My son had filed a complaint on a undercover officer in Nov. 2013 and has never received any kind of official response from any of the offices this complaint was referred to. This officer has since retired.
What is the next step for us to find the status of this complaint?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
The law doesn't require that the public be informed about internal discipline of an officer, which is likely what happened in this situation. Personnel files are confidential and not required to be released. The only way it could become public is if some finding was made against the officer and he took the matter to court. That said, the highway patrol MAY release the information at their discretion. The best way to go about that is to file an open records request with the highway patrol, asking for the results of that specific complaint. Again, they don't have to release it to you, but they still may.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.