Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My ex life partner left her motorcycle in the garage when she left me because she didn

Customer Question

My ex life partner left her motorcycle in the garage when she left me because she didn't want to deal with it. No title because she filed bankruptcy. I have everything else regarding the motorcycle. Keys, owners manual etc. What the heck can I do with this motorcycle?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Was the motorcycle included in the bankruptcy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The loan was through Suzuki, they still have the title apparently until it is paid off. No monthly payments anymore. It's just a $10K dust collector in my garage.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.
If the debt was included in bankruptcy, she should have offered it back to Suzuki in an attempt to mitigate the damages and reduce the debt owed. If she did not, and you want it moved, you would need to notify Suzuki of its whereabouts and ask them to recover it.
Usually, they will send someone to recover the item.......if they don't, you can take it to the nearest dealership, tell them that it was abandoned in bankruptcy and that it has a lien against it and they will usually accept the bike and get with the credit side of the business and sell it, re-title it, etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She did offer it back to Suzuki and they had 60 days to come get it. They didn't so here it sits. Wow. There's nothing else I can do to get the title? Abandoned vehicle? Anything?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Since the vehicle has a lien against it, the only thing you could to would be to contact Suzuki and offer to pay off all or part of the remaining balance in exchange for the title.
Otherwise, you're likely not going to be able to obtain the vehicle lien-free.......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
No problem and good luck with this.