Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I live in forest shadows in humble texas .we have a civic club

Customer Question

I live in forest shadows in humble texas .we have a civic club association with voluntary dues. They are threat ing me if I do not mive my wood that I use to build my art projects. How do I protect my self?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you belong to the voluntary association? Is the conduct they are complaining of violating the association bylaws? What are they threatening? What do the bylaws say about you withdrawing from their voluntary association?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im really not sure what I was told is that me collecting and storeing cedar wood and heart of pine wood is noxious . They do not want to see it from the street. It began before christmas and they ask me for me to come up with a solution and propose it to them. Now we are a neighborhood of about 100 homes. The dues are 20 year and membership is volutary. I stated i would build a fence on the lot next to me with the land owners concent to store the wood . I also made a point to make sure they knew id be keeping all projects in progress and finished projects under my covered area. They agreed to everything and all was ok untill two weeks ago when it started over again about my projects in progress . They have sent a cert.letter which I have yet to recieve. As far as bylaws im not sure what they say. Can I find out by the computer . What is in them. I SURE HOPE i do not have to spend money again to get an awnser. What are the laws about a civic clubs rights to threten me with court action . Can I not just file a cese and disece harrassment. Are they not required to get a vote by all homeowners not just those who attend the meetings.

Thank you for your reply. First off, you have not spent any money on getting an answer, all you have done up to this point is placed a deposit and you and I will go back and forth until I provide you the information you need. You do not release your deposit until we are finished and you do that by leaving positive feedback for the expert, since the experts are not employees of this site and that is the only way they get credit for spending time with you.

If the membership is voluntary in the association, you voluntarily agreed to be bound by those bylaws by becoming a member.

It is your association, I do not know if their bylaws are online or not, but before we can continue you need to find those as I have questions for you to answer before I can provide you the information you are asking.

Under Texas laws, civic associations are controlled by their bylaws, that is why the bylaws are important to this discussion.

So please locate your association bylaws and tell me 1) what they say about storage of wood, 2) what they say about fines AND 3) what they say about you getting out of the association. Once you do that, we can proceed.

If you cannot do that, my reply can only be very general for you to help you get started.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok how much time do I have to find out this info for you? Im at work but can network with neighbors. But this may take a few maybe hours do I have that much time. The name of the assoc. Is forest shadows civic club association. I will first try online

Take your time. I am online here daily pretty much from about 7AM to about 8PM or so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok thank you I m working on it . I couldnt find it on the web but I remember that my realastate agent once found info on them with a program she has.

Thank you for your reply.

Just come back and reply here when you find them. No need to reply until that time.