Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

MY DAUGHTER PASSED IN 1999 AT 5 WEEKS OLD. MY MOTHER-N-LAW

Customer Question

MY DAUGHTER PASSED IN 1999 AT 5 WEEKS OLD. MY MOTHER-N-LAW BOUGHT 3 PLOTS FOR MY HUSBAND MYSELF AND OUR DAUGHTER AND THE DEED WAS PUT IN HIS NAME ONLY I WASNT AWARE OF IT AT THE TIME. OUR DAUGHTER IS BURIED THERE. I DIVORCED MY EX HUSBAND IN 2003 NOT THINKING MY BURIAL PLOT OR THE RIGHTS OF MY DAUGHTER WAS SOMETHING I HAD TO WORRY ABOUT. I HAVE FINALLY GOTTEN HIM TO SELL ME MY BURIAL PLOT AFTER MANY YEARS OF FIGHTING.. BUT I ASKED FOR JOINT DEED ON HER GRAVE AND HE SAID NO AND I WOULD NEVER GET IT NOR DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS OVER HER GRAVE PER HIM .HE TELLS ME I CANT DO ANYTHING THERE HE HAS EVEN GONE TO THE POINT TO TRY AND GET ME BARRED FROM HER GAVE AND HAS DESTROYED FLOWERS AND ITEMS THAT I HAVE PUT THERE AS WELL.. I WANTED TO KEEP MY GRAVE THERE BECAUSE MY PARENTS ARE THERE AND MY DAUGHTER.. WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE AS HER MOTHER? IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN GET JOINT RIGHTS ON HER PLOT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I FORGOT THE LOCATION ITS THE STATE OF VIRGINIA
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
Graves aren't always treated like real estate. Whether they are or not depends on how the property has been handled since the beginning.
However, it likely doesn't matter since the way to handle it is the same regardless of how it was obtained.
Was the property/gravesite acquired during marriage?
Was the property/gravesite discussed in the divorce decree?