CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My friends friend gave him a 1963 caddy,but before he ever

Customer Question

My friends friend gave him a 1963 caddy,but before he ever recived a title fore the car his friend passed away,so the car has been my yard fore sum time, so i askd him what was he going to do with the car,an he gave it to me as a gift, but with no title, how would i fill out ownership cerfication forms to recive the title to this car thank u fore ur time
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to learn of your loss.Unfortunately, without title to the vehicle, your friend will need to file what is called a "declaratory relief" action in civil court and request that a judge issue a court order granting title in his name. He can then take this court order to the DMV and they will issue him a title for the vehicle.He will need to name the grantor's estate as a defendant in the lawsuit (and anyone else that may reasonably have a claim to the vehicle, if anyone does).These claims are usually resolved on a "default judgment" basis (nobody appears in court as you are not asking for a money judgment and are not asserting wrongdoing against anyone), and are usually resolved in 3-6 months.