Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

A friend who kept my dog while I worked, registered my dog

Customer Question

A friend who kept my dog while I worked, registered my dog in her name and now won't give my dog back. I can get veterinarian records to show that the dog was mine previously but whe it came time for re-licensing the dog, she did it and put my dog in her name. What can I do?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am genuinely sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. As a dog owner I genuinely sympathize.
Luckily you have recourse. You can take her to court for 'replevin' (return of personal property). A dog is considered property, so you can sue her for the return. If you have evidence that this is your animal and the judge agrees, the judge can order her to return the dog or that person can be placed under contempt and jailed until she finally returns the dog to you.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.