Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience
77476456

WHEN a INSurAnCe COMPANY DElares your car tOTAled and theyPay

Customer Question

WHEN a INSurAnCe COMPANY DElares your car tOTAled and theyPay you BUT firsT tHEY WAnt the titel weLL im BUyiNg the CAr ANd i STill OWe ON iT can THEy just CUT THe CHEak tO The peoPlE IM BuYinG it from
Expert:  Gerald, Esq replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.
I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.
When you borrow money to buy a car the lender is called the lien holder. If you look at the title on the car you will see a section where the lien holder is listed. That section usually has language that states that the lien holder is the "first payee."
The first payee gets paid first when ever there is a pay off of the car. This includes when an insurance company pays off on a totaled vehicle.
So the short answer is YES the insurance company should pay the lender first to pay off the lien on the title.
I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.
If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.
Good luck.
Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.