Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My girlfriend is jointly on a leased vehicle with her

Customer Question

My girlfriend is jointly on a leased vehicle with her ex-husband. He uses the vehicle and pays for insurance on that vehicle. My question is this: What is the extent of my girlfriend's liability if he gets in an accident using that vehicle? I have received
an answer from an attorney but I would like confirmation that he is correct. He says that in California (where we live), her liability is limited to 10K per claim and 30K for multiple claims and since the minimum liability requirements in CA cover that, she
has no liability as long as he maintains insurance on the vehicle. The exception would be if the ex-husband has a history of reckless driving or a drinking problem, then she could be exposed to a claim for negligent entrustment and the sky is the limit. Could
someone please confirm this for me? Thank you very much.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
If she has any reason to believe that it's not safe for her ex-husband to drive the car and she lets him drive it anyway, that could give her liability under negligent entrustment. Some of the most common examples of that are if a person is known to have been drinking when they take the car, has a drinking problem, or is known to be a bad or reckless driver.
Otherwise, her liability is limited to: $15,000 per person, $30,000 per accident, and $5,000 for damage to a third party's property. Their insurance policy should provide coverage up to those limits. You can find those limitations in Cal. Veh. Code, Section 17151(a).
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=veh&group=17001-18000&file=17150-17159
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.