CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

A lien against me want placed I am no responsible.

Customer Question

A lien against me want placed for something I am no responsible. The process was managed out of Chicago. Disabled I was neither able to attend the court session nor employ a lawyer to attend for me. How can i get this resolved?
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
How long ago was the court judgment entered? And were you properly served with the summons and complaint (I understand that you were physically unable to appear in court, but did they at least serve you with the summons and complaint)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was served and wrote the court that u could not attend and why. It didn't natter. Almost 2 years ago. I have been paying $25 a month since then. The lien is for some telephone equipment my husband bought for I company I was not owner of. He signed my name since he had poor credit. The equipment was returned to Lucent but during transition was list in shuffle. My son owns the company now.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do now is try to negotiate a settlement with the company (try to get them to agree to a payoff). After 2 years, it is too late for the judgment to be vacated. You can however try to find a way to resolve the case with the creditor (they may be willing to accept a lump sum for less than the full judgment amount instead of having to accept a minimal $25 payment each month for the foreseeable future). Speak with the creditor, try to get a written settlement offer - come up with something they can agree to, most creditors are willing to accept some money as a way to avoid the time and expense of maintaining a collection account over time, and are understanding of the fact that some debtors are not going to have funds to pay the debt off in full over time.Unfortunately the facts underlying the original debt are not going to change anything at this point (once the debt went to judgment you lost the opportunity to contest the merits of the claim).