Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I owned my home and property before marriage. the house is

Customer Question

I owned my home and property before marriage. the house is deeded to me only and the financial are in my name only. all bill are paid from an account in my name only that I had 15 years before marriage.
my wife moved out two weeks ago. Is there anything I can legally do to stop her from showing up and entering the property any time she wants? the state in question is Pennsylvania.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist. Is the property your marital residence?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when we got married she moved in with me. so I would say yes, it is our marital residence in the terms that we lived there together. in the terms of ownership the property is entirely mine and was so long before marriage. the property was not purchased by the two of us as a marital residence.

All taxes, deeds, mortgages, bills, and so on are in my name, paid by my account (not a dual account after marriage).

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information. If the property is your marital residence, then she has a right to live there and access the property whenever she wants short of a court order to the contrary. If you were to file for divorce, you would be able to ask the court for a temporary restraining order to keep her off of the property at least until the divorce is final.....and at that point, the court will have disposed on the property/determined who keeps it, etc. So, that would give you the relief you need. Also, if you owned the property before the marriage, the judge should allow you to retain it. But, she has likely acquired an equitable ownership interest in the property and you may have to buy that interest out or trade off something in exchange for recovering the equity.