Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

GA Law Two weeks ago I tried

Customer Question

GA law Two weeks ago I tried to commit suicide by overdose of prescription meds to avoid the advancing stages of dementia and its drain on my family. The attempt failed; I spent 5 days hospitalized in ICU followed by what I understood was a 72-hour mandatory commitment to a mental institution. I completed the 72-hour commitment but was advised by the supervising psychiatrist on Monday (the third day) that she was extending the stay 3-4 more days. I do have a lifelong struggle with depression but my main concern now is dealing with the dementia and helping my family deal with it. The psychiatrist did release me on Wednesday (the fifth day) to participate as an outpatient in a 10-day program at the same facility. I completed the third day of outpatient services today. I am 68 years old and a retired solo, second-career attorney myself. Do I have the option of dropping out of the outpatient program? What are the consequences if I do?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. If you drop out of the out patient program, then the doctors can file to get a new mandatory involuntary commitment against you and force you back into treatment. In order to do so, they will have to prove you are still a danger to yourself or others. If they are able to prove you are still a danger to yourself or others, legally they can force you back into inpatient care against your will.