Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I signed a lease agreement last Thursday 2015 RDX. I

Customer Question

I signed a lease agreement last Thursday for a 2015 RDX. I knew that the 2016 RDX would be out soon.
The salesman said there would basically be no changes.
WE got a good deal and my wife loves the car. I have a 2003 Highlander with approx. 150k miles on it. IT IS RUNNING FINE.
I see now that for the package in the 2016 suits my needs better- suspension ,passenger seat adjusts 8 ways instead of 4. AC in back row. 6 more HP WITH A BETTER ENGINE.
I offered to pay for any extras I added, about,$2000.00 more. we have been going back and forth for a while. As of now he has one new . different color that we do not want.
Can I do anything and wait for a color we want All he says is that the paperwork would be hard to stop with the bank.
HE JUST CALLED ME BACK AND I TOLD HIM WE DO NOT WANT THE COLOR HE "JUST" got in.
I TYPE VERY SLOW. SO WAITING FOR A RESPONSE FROM ME WILL TAKE A FEW MINUTES. THANKS, ***** ***** JACKSON, NJ
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help..If you actually have signed the lease for the 2015 for a specific vehicle identified by VIN, then you are bound under a legal contract that you can't break or they could hold you liable for the entire lease term's payments by law. The only way that you could back out of the lease now would be if the dealership voluntarily agreed to terminate the deal and let you out. But they have no legal duty to do so and it would be entirely up to them..Unfortunately if you had wanted the lease for a 2016 model, you would have had to insist on that model initially, done your research about any changes, and not relied on the salesman's verbal comments. His job is to sell vehicles on the lot that are getting older, so you can never rely on anything that a car salesman tells you unless you have verified it to be true independently..So at this point, your only way out here is if the dealer agrees to cancel the deal and let you out...I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy.....thanksBarrister