Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had to put a motor home that i bought in someonename on the

Customer Question

I had to put a motor home that i bought in someonename on the title and registration cuz i'm in bankruptcy they now say it's there's and want me to give it up and this was suppose to be a friend what can i do?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.I am afraid that this is a huge problem, because the motor home is in their name, they are legally the owner. You cannot sue them, because if you try to do so, then you can be admitting to bankruptcy fraud and that means you could actually be charged with a criminal offense. This is a risk that happens when people try to save property from bankruptcy and they use so called friends as straw buyers. What you did when you did that is you committed fraud, so I am afraid that because of this fraud, you would not be able to sue the friend for the motor home back. You are going to need to negotiate this with him to avoid being charged with the crime of bankruptcy fraud, which is a felony that carries a potential sentence of up to 10 years in prison.