Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I supposedly stole a computer and accessories many years ago,

Customer Question

I supposedly stole a computer and accessories many years ago, say 2008 02 2009 and ex refuses to pay me by holding this over my head. I live in Ohio and supposed crime took place in FL, but actually by accident in 2005. I had no idea it was unlawful. But, discovery by his mother was in 2008 or 09.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardI suggest the Florida Statute of Limitations for a theft is going to come into play in this matterThe SOL runs None for capital crimes to one year one year for misdemeanor crimes. And 3 years for felonies. Those SOL begin at the time of the crime and not at time of discovery.I suggest that even if he wanted to accuse you of the crime you describe the SOL would have run and therefore preclude charges from being filed.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. Therefore, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know.Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating here as that is how i get credit for my time and informationThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So he is lying and does not want to pay. Can this go to Court in Ohio?Pam313
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hello PamAs I suggested, the statute of limitations has more than likely expired. That means the state cannot bring charges after the SOL have passed to do so. If you tell me what you think the approximate value of the equipment is, I can then determine if it is felony or a misdemeanor and more definitively tell you what the SOL is in Florida to bring those charges