Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I did a simple will couple - received no data from them

Customer Question

I did a simple will for a couple - received no data from them other than their names and who their property would go to. Husband a long fried of 50 years returns 5 years later for a divorce. Can I represent him
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardThe subject of conflict of interest is sometimes difficult to manage. I suggest the test is will representation of one party “involve the same transaction or legal dispute” or if there is “a substantial risk that confidential factual information obtained in the prior representation would materially advance the client’s position in the subsequent matter.”
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
So if you acquired any financial information from the parties, I suggest it would now be a conflict.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
If you did not, and know nothing of their marital assets or any private information, then there is no substantial risk of confidentiality.