Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

A well known hotel signed chemo medicine and wen I called

Customer Question

A well known hotel signed for my chemo medicine and wen I called for it they said I don't have a package, they even called the cancer center to see if they could give me more, long story short they lost it for 4 days and I've felt bad because I have to take it daily. The GM has been Talkin to me and my husband and says they messed up
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good morning! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you this morning. Can you provide me a bit more information? Is the hotel offering you anything? And, what is it that you would like from the hotel? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hotel is offering me watever I want, they say they take full responsibility, this isn't just a pain pill. This is meducine to keep me alive. I don't take it I die. They say they want my stay to b comfortable and watever they have to do
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your quick response. You clearly are entitled to damages. The key is whether or not they were grossly negligent or simply negligent. If grossly negligent, then you would be entitled to not only your actual damages, but also punitive damages due to their careless and reckless disregard. If this package was clearly marked as medicine or something urgent, then their duty of care rises and it's more likely that you could sustain a gross negligence claim. The other thing that would be important is to get a statement from your doctor as to the potential risk to you of the loss of the 4 days of medicine. The key for you is to have something specific in mind that you want in the form of damages. It's important that you said the bar and as long as you are not unreasonable in your demand, it's likely the hotel will give it to you rather than face the costs and expenses of a legal battle that they will surely lose.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they said I had pain and suffering but will they just pay me directly
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they will pay you directly as you are the one that suffered the damages. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how much to ask for can't put a price on what I've been thru but don't wanna be unreasonable
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to put a dollar on it. The first question is whether the delay likely caused your health to actually to be impacted or your life expectancy to be shortened. If so, obviously the number goes way up. But, otherwise, your pain and suffering is generally 3-5 times your actual damages. You might want to also think about asking for some of your compensation in terms of something valuable to you but which doesn't cost the hotel much....i.e., free hotel room nights.