Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

We are going to arbitration with a company. We found out that

Customer Question

We are going to arbitration with a company. We found out that the company was in forfeiture in the state of Maryland at the time the contracts were signed. We are also a Maryland company. The company in question was in forfeiture four years 2008-2011. We signed a contract in 2009.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.This may be grounds for you to argue the company was in default for these years and the contract is arguably void.You may raise this in arbitration and seek a lower or resolution here.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Remember that arbitration unless it is binding is just an attempt to resole the issues, it is not binding and you can choose to walk away and proceed to hearing.Certainly this should lower their claims as they may not prevail in court since they were in forfeiture.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Here is case law that may support you here.http://www.nsnn.com/frequently.htmI appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The case webpage you gave me only relates to trusts
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the bad link here is the one I intended. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/dc-court-of-appeals/1617386.html
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again.