Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I bartered furniture items value of $3,000 in return

Customer Question

I bartered furniture items for a value of $3,000 in return for handyman work at $15.00/hour. The other party signed a document prepared by me, acknowledging the agreement, accepting the value and now apparently is refusing to perform as agreed. Is this a small claims court issue I can pursue in MI? If so, how, where and at what cost?
Charles W. Buck
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.This can be pursued in small claims.Can you give me your city/state so I may get you forms and self help??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Elberta, MI 49628
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello! did you get my response?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Thanks give me a second.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Self help here for you. http://michiganlegalhelp.org/self-help-tools/consumer/i-have-small-claims-case
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Forms to file suit here yourself..http://courts.mi.gov/administration/scao/forms/pages/small-claims.aspx
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Here in Michigan there is a fee for filing a small claims case. The cost of filing the lawsuit with the small claims division of the district court is $25 for claims up to $600, $45 for claims over $600 up to $1,750, and $65 for claims over $1,750 up to $5,500. The plaintiff is responsible for paying the filing fee and other required fees or costs (postage costs or fees for serving the claim on the defendant). The amount of the fees can be included as part of the judgment against the defendant (the person you are suing) if the judge decides in your favor. The defendant may offer to settle out of court after learning you have filed a suit. If you settle the matter out of court, you can either voluntarily dismiss your lawsuit or obtain a judgment. If you want an enforceable judgment, the terms of your agreement must be spelled out in writing and signed by both you and the defendant. A copy of the agreement must be filed with the court.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
File here..Benzie County Government Center448 Court Place (off Michigan Ave. — US-31)Beulah, Michigan 49617Location on Google Maps8:00 AM to 5:00 PMMonday through FridayMain phone number: ***-***-****Main Web site: www.BenzieCo.netMobile Web site: m.BenzieCo.net I appreciate the chance to help you today and for your patience. Please let me know if you have more followup.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to add that you can sue here up to $5k as the limits on small claims.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.