How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 40113
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bartered furniture items value of $3,000 in return

Customer Question

I bartered furniture items for a value of $3,000 in return for handyman work at $15.00/hour. The other party signed a document prepared by me, acknowledging the agreement, accepting the value and now apparently is refusing to perform as agreed. Is this a small claims court issue I can pursue in MI? If so, how, where and at what cost?
Charles W. Buck
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.This can be pursued in small claims.Can you give me your city/state so I may get you forms and self help??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Elberta, MI 49628
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello! did you get my response?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Thanks give me a second.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Self help here for you.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Forms to file suit here yourself..
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Here in Michigan there is a fee for filing a small claims case. The cost of filing the lawsuit with the small claims division of the district court is $25 for claims up to $600, $45 for claims over $600 up to $1,750, and $65 for claims over $1,750 up to $5,500. The plaintiff is responsible for paying the filing fee and other required fees or costs (postage costs or fees for serving the claim on the defendant). The amount of the fees can be included as part of the judgment against the defendant (the person you are suing) if the judge decides in your favor. The defendant may offer to settle out of court after learning you have filed a suit. If you settle the matter out of court, you can either voluntarily dismiss your lawsuit or obtain a judgment. If you want an enforceable judgment, the terms of your agreement must be spelled out in writing and signed by both you and the defendant. A copy of the agreement must be filed with the court.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
File here..Benzie County Government Center448 Court Place (off Michigan Ave. — US-31)Beulah, Michigan 49617Location on Google Maps8:00 AM to 5:00 PMMonday through FridayMain phone number: ***-***-****Main Web site: www.BenzieCo.netMobile Web site: I appreciate the chance to help you today and for your patience. Please let me know if you have more followup.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
I wanted to add that you can sue here up to $5k as the limits on small claims.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.