Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

Two weeks ago on a Tuesday morning my dog got loose from the

Customer Question

Two weeks ago on a Tuesday morning my dog got loose from the gated back yard which we always kept locked and secured. We searched and searched and couldn't find her. Thursday morning the humane society called to alert me of her death by car. A week passed and my family came home to a gate unlocked and open once again. Today a week later on a Saturday my youngest son observed the mail man opening our gate and hopping the fence, an act they are not supposed to do. He left the gate open and unlocked. We now believe this is why our dog was able to get out of our gate and ultimately die. Do we have a case to sue the USPS?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
You can file a complaint with your local USPS. You might get a condolence letter from the local postmaster, and perhaps an apology with a statement that they have reprimanded the carrier. Other than that I don't see the US government doing anything about the situation. you can't sue the federal government for this type of matter because it has immunity. Even if you could, the cost would be prohibitive.