Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My service dog was taken from me by the rescue that I adopted

Customer Question

My service dog was taken from me by the rescue that I adopted him from. It was done under false pretenses. They falsely accused me of abuse to justify the taking then retracted. I called police and animal services, and they said it was a civil matter because adoption contract states they can take dog at will for any reason without a hearing.I adopted dog as a wild animal that was considered unadoptable due to his being wild. I trained him and made him a family pet and had him certified and registered as a SERVICE DOG. My dog is not the same one that I adopted. He is now valuable and a very valuable breed. That is the real reason why he was taken back.Can they legally hold him. Do I have a right to get him back and nullify the adoption contract?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. As a dog owner who adopted his own pet I genuinely sympathize. If I may ask, what was at least the basis for why they took the dog from you, what happened?