Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I lost my certificate of deposit certificate can I ask my bank

Customer Question

I lost my certificate of deposit certificate can I ask my bank for a replacement?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
This will not be a problem.Contact the customer service department at your bank they can replace it.You may want to see if you can find the CD number.This is just another account here the paper just gives you the information about the CD and can be replaced by the bank.They may require identification such as drivers license and you may have to do this in person at the bank.But these get lost all the time, replacement is not a problem.They have electronic records of the CD here.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the chance to help you today. Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Im more concerned because the bank was just taken over by another bank, and the name is ***** ***** think the FDIC was involved. , what if they hesitate to giver it to me?

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Again they can locate this, the account did not go away.You can look at your last tax return there should be a 1099 from the bank with the CD number on it.That makes it easier for them to find it.They paid you interest and should have sent a 1099.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again for the chance to help.I do not see this as a problem at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks

Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
Gather what you can and your social security card, drivers license, and birth certificate the bank will likely need all of this and you would go to them in person.You are so welcome.
Expert:  Ray replied 2 years ago.
If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.Take care now.