CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

HAD CAR ACCIDENT. CAR TOTALED. HEAD INJURY. TOTALLY NOT RESPONSIBLE.

Customer Question

HAD CAR ACCIDENT. CAR TOTALED. HEAD INJURY. TOTALLY NOT RESPONSIBLE. WAS HIT BY
INSURED WHILE I WAS NOT MOVING. SELF-EMPLOYED. MISSED SEVERAL DAYS OF WORK AND WENT THROUGH SOME PAIN. WAS CARRIED BY AMBULANCE TO HOSPITAL AND HAD
STAPLES IN MY HEAD. WHAT KIND OF DAMAGES CAN I RECEIVE FROM THIS CASE.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to learn of this unfortunate situation.You are entitled to property damages (the cost of repair or replacement of your vehicle).You are entitled to loss of income for the time that you were injured.You are entitled to recover the cost of your medical expenses (both past, and the projected future cost of care for your injuries).You are also entitled to "pain and suffering" damages - this is a little harder to calculate, but a good rule of thumb is to use your medical damages and apply a multiplier such as 2x or 3x your medical expenses.For personal injury claims such as this, I would recommend contacting a personal injury attorney (also called "plaintiff's lawyers" or "trial lawyers"), most will accept cases such as this on a contingency basis - meaning they will advance their legal services and costs of litigation in exchange for a percentage of your successful settlement or judgment, so that you can sue without any out of pocket expense.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).