LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

I live in Kansas, I received a collections letter today 4/30/2015

Customer Question

I live in Kansas,
I received a collections letter today 4/30/2015 from a collection agency for over $700.
I don't think I owe them anything, but I can't find any receipts, for 2012.
I haven't received any notice, or nothing on my credit report ( i just re-financed my home)
also 4 months ago bought a near new car. Just got my taxes done and received my refund, no attachments either.
they claim they have notified me. this is not true, no letters, no certified notifications.
I am totally blindsided. I am single and ready to turn 62. still working 40 + hours a week
but being seen weekly at VA hospital. Nothing to do with themwhat recourse do I have? Why after over 3 years with NO Notification!!
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you do not believe that you owe them anything ,you have a legal right to dispute the validity of the debt with them, in writing and they need to halt collection proceedings, until they provide proof that the debt is owed. Of course, without any receipts to show this has been paid, it will be your work against theirs but you may be able to go back to your bank and ask for a record of your account, which the checks were written from. It is very possible that they did not send you any notice, so you should also request proof of that. If they do produce evidence that the debt is owed, then you can decide if you want to contest this or try and settle with them, for a lower amount then they claim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on Google,
Logan vs Cox Communication,
I was fired from a job I had for 24 years, accused of stealing a ladder I had been given by a previous supervisor. I was over 50 years old in 2004.
My attorney received a Right to Suit letter in 2005, He quit the day he received it, we had won our KDHR case, but KHRC re-charged me anyway.
I never received this RTS letter from KHRC or my then attorney nor till 3months after this letter had expired he had his secretary call and had me pick up my records. never assisted in finding another attorney during this time I never knew he quit.
i refiled a lawsuit in 2008, I went through 2 depositions with out an attorney, calling the sealed affidavits a joke were total lies and prooved that. they then changed their affidavits.
Case was dismissed, Cox sopeaned him for certified letter to prove he resigned. He never did.
I was lied about, lost my retirement and disgraced
Probably to much time
I am sorry to hear about this and what your attorney did and what you went through. Do you have an additional question in response to my answer above?