Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I am a nurse and If my job say I violated a hippa law by looking

Customer Question

I am a nurse and If my job say I violated a hippa law by looking at my father law information on the computer one time this month only once ever and I stated that that could of been when my father law returned back to the building because sometimes I supervise and they send me everybody information to my email anyway. There mar and tar doctors order and so forth is that a hipp law broken when I get information to my email at work of other patients anyway. Confused and don't understand how is that
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.Can you be a little more specific in your question please? I'm not sure what you're asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a nurse and at my job my DON stated that I broke a hippa law by looking at my father In law information on the computer. But I supervise sometimes and get other people resident information to my email anyway that's not my patients. My father in law was readmitted and his information came to my email as well. How is that a hipaa law broken I'm confused
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell from your facts but generally accessing a file that you aren't directed to access or have no specific reason to access is a HIPAA violation.If you didn't access the file then obviously that would be a defense. If you are supposed to access all files on which you receive an email that would be a defense as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to write out a statement and they looked on the computer to see how many times I did that and found that oNe. If I was looking up his information it would have been a whole lot of times than just that one. All the team leads and supervisors get the same information to there email about patients as well I'm confused
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying you did't look it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm saying that I did but I get a lot of patients information to my email about patients that's not mine all team leads get them
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not understanding what the emails have to do with accessing the file. They're not complaining about you getting the emails, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you able to call me so I can explain better
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't do telephone calls. A few of the legal experts do but most of us don't.I can opt out and place this back in the queue and you can place a request for additional services if you prefer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so what do I do
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
I will opt our and this will go back into the queue. There should be a choice somewher eon your screen to request additional service. If not, the other experts can read the post and see what you are looking for.I do wish you the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.