Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

My lease states it was a 5 year lease that starts Aug. 1 2011

Customer Question

my lease states it was a 5 year lease that starts Aug. 1 2011 and ends July 30 2015 with a three year option that starts Aug 1 2015 and ends July 30 2018. Can I terminate my lease July 30 2015. He claims it was a typo that should have been 2016 why cant I claim the typo was the 5 year vs 4 for the original term/
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide excellent service.
Unfortunately, since you are aware it is a typo, and in agreement that the term of the lease is 5 years, you are not able to legally end the lease term one year early.
However, if your lease requires that they provide parking, you may be able to sue if the parking is no longer available. You could be able to leverage the suit into a release from the rest of the lease.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Best regards.