Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

I have a 2003 chevy trailblazer. My boyfriends son had to borrow

Customer Question

I have a 2003 chevy trailblazer. My boyfriends son had to borrow an Ice Bud to chop away some ice in his girlfriends mothers driveway ,where they were living. He came and borrowed it, maybe on a Tues or Weds. Said he would bring it back the next day, never did. Then said he would bring it back the next day, never did. Then said he would bring it back the following day, was a Saturday, his sons birthday party was that day later in the afternoon, said he would bring it back that morning, guess what? he did not. We needed it to break up ice at our back door for our dogs, so they would not slip on it and and have them get hurt. So my boyfriend had to go get it that morning,his son wasn't even there. On the way back my boyfriend was in an accident. No one hurt, but i would like to know if he is some what responsable for part of damages to my trailblazer?He was driving with a suspended license but is paying to get it back. The court dropped the DWLS and Failure to yeild right of way. I thought i had ins on the vechile but was canceled because they did not recieve by the date they stated. I had told my ins agent i was waiting to get my partial S.S.I. check to send in. I was just approved for it. I mailed the payment out on 16th of Feb, it was due the 17th. But they canceled and sent check back. I just want to know if my boyfriends son is partly responsable for these damages? By the way he never follows through on anything except selling his furture mother-in-laws Norcos... help would be appreicated.. Ty.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Assuming the accident was your boyfriend's fault, all of the legal liability would be his, not his son's. I understand that the son was the reason he was having to drive your vehicle in the first place, but under the law, the son has no legal liability for someone else's negligent driving. Simply put, there is no case against the son.
I'm sorry for the bad news, but I have to give an honest assessment of the law and your facts.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.