Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Can a non attorney represent a friend in court in California

Customer Question

Can a non attorney represent a friend in court in California using a Power of Attorney?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
"" Can a non attorney represent a friend in court in California using a Power of Attorney?""
.
.
No, in order to represent someone in court, the person has to be a licensed attorney. If someone without a license to practice law attempts to represent someone, even with a POA, they can be charged with "unauthorized practice of law". The only other way someone can be represented in court is if they represent themselves.
.
.
thanks