Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I was terminated from Austin Community College District where

Customer Question

I was terminated from Austin Community College District where I worked as a Sergeant for the ACC Police Dept. I was terminated for having an affair with a coworker who reported to me. The internal investigation was done and I resigned from the job as I was asked to do. My file with Texas Commission on Law Enforcement has my resignation as honorable. The issue is that when I try to get other police jobs ACC shows them my internal investigation file and then I wont be hired. I am a veteran of the US Marine Corps where I served as Military Police. I can barely support my family now because of the difficulty I have in getting a job in my field of law enforcement. Is it legal for ACC HR to show the file regarding my internal investigation?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you tonight.
Here your next option might be a local lawyer here in Austin to write the ACC threatening a defamation suit and invasion of your privacy if they do not quit disclosing this information.
Normally former employers disclose only your job title and time of employment.This is reasonable and keeps them from being sued.I think a threat here from a local lawyer might be enough to get them to seal their files or at least not give out the internal affairs investigation.
They are in my mind risking a suit from you which is your last resort.
They are in effect blackballing you from any law enforcement job.To me this goes beyond what an employer should be disclosing.It is worth a lawyer letter here to see if you can put a halt to the disclosure.
You want an employment lawyer, you can locate one here.
http://www.austinlrs.com/
I think there is hope here to get these guys to back off. It may well be that once their lawyers sees what they have done they agree to end this disclosure of the internal affairs investigation.
I have been successful in similar circumstances involving law enforcement terminations.
Otherwise you have to consider a lawsuit to force the issue.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Pleas let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I wish you the best here.I have had the chance to see some of the job applications you have to go through and they are daunting.The one form Bastrop PD is like a yellow pages they ask about such really off the wall stuff.I do think a lawyer letter to ACC may get them to stop disclosing this.I know it can be a hard thing to deal with.
I had a good friend go through a similar kind of situation with Travis County and we almost had to sue before they agreed to quit providing more information than they were required.
I appreciate the chance to help you tonight and wish you the best.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
JA will email you our chat for your files with reference when you positive rate.Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for your help. I have learned that ACC HR has a file &
The police dept. had a file. I have requested copies of both and have been told that one of the Assistant Chiefs took the file to
HR and now it is lost! Am I entitled to copies of all my files at ACC?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
You can include this in your demand letter that you be provided of copies of your personnel file and this investigation.They truly are trying to taint you here thats for sure.
If you were to sue them here for defamation you can seek the files in discovery here.
Everyone makes mistakes, these law enforcement agencies really have a hidden agenda it seems.I hope you can get these guys to back off here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you recommend a lawyer in Austin that might take my case?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Here are ones that have ratings.Any of the ones with 10.0 rating means they have satisfied clients an no complaints.
http://www.avvo.com/employment-labor-lawyer/tx/austin.html
Thanks again.