ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney

I have 2 new entries on a 2 year old closed civil case court

I have 2 new entries on a 2 year old closed civil case court record. They both say "Assessment" and show a small amount paid for each, ($15, $18) and a receipt number. This is a Florida foreclosure case where I, (defendant), prevailed and was awarded attorney fees but plaintiff has never paid.

Anyone know what these "Assessments" payments are?

1/15/2014Payment received: $18.00 Receipt Number O 33093
1/15/2014Assessment 6 Total Assessed $18.00 Balance Remaining $0.00
1/15/2014Assessment 6 assessed at sum $18.00
1/10/2014Payment received: $15.00 Receipt Number O 33044
1/10/2014Assessment 5 Total Assessed $15.00 Balance Remaining $0.00
1/10/2014Assessment 5 assessed at sum $15.00
6/7/2012AFFIDAVIT: OF NON PAYMENT
6/7/2012CASE RECLOSED
6/7/2012FINAL JDMT $1500.00 JUDGE COBB SIGNED 06/06/12 2 PGS
4/5/2012ORDER GRANTING: ATTORNEYS FEES
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 6 months ago.
Typically in these situations, so late after the closing of the case, I find that the reason for them is that someone was ordering copies of the case. An "assessment" merely means that someone is being charged something. The small amount shows that it's not a typical recording / filing fee or a fee deposited for interest, etc... but rather indicates that it would be that someone is seeking to get copies of the case and the documents of the case.

It's entirely possible that there are "stale debt" collectors that are seeking to bundle various cases and attorney's fees against a single party, but that's mere speculation. I would not be surprised if it was, though. It's possible that the clerk can give you a better idea if you contact them and inquire about the specific receipt number.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate this answer either a 3, 4, or 5 (good or better). Please note that I do not get any credit for this answer unless and until you rate it that way. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX good luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I have sought copies of my, and other cases, from the Clerks office before and generally just paid the per/page copy costs here in my county and have never seen anything show up on dockets like this, ergo my question.

I'll call the Clerks office tomorrow....

The reason that I think that it would be that (or some other request by the other party) is that the assessment and the payment days are one and the same. That means that the part paid the same exact day it was requested. I can't imagine what else that could have been, after the case is actually closed.