Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

bought a 2014 new car the dealership offered a protection package

bought a 2014 new car the dealership offered a protection package for exterior and engine compartment from corision for the life of the car. Free car washes and free towing and road side assisistance. At a cost of 1295.00. Bought the car on 11-14-13. Decided the package is rip off can we cancel the protection package? Not the car but just the protection package.Salesman told us every time we brought it in for servicing they would put protection sealer. found out it is a one time sealer and it was put on in the factory.
Expert:  Barrister replied 11 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
I hate to say it, but this would depend entirely on whether the contract you signed for the protection package had a cancellation clause or not. In my experience, once the buyer takes delivery of the vehicle, it is a done deal and there is no cancellation available.
.
So you would need to carefully look over the package contract to see if they had any type of cancellation clause.
.
If the salesman stated that they would provide sealer at every service, but it doesn't state so in the written contract, then to be honest, you would have a hard time holding them to that because the written contract controls what services they provide under the agreement.
.
With that said, if they refuse to refund the package, you could tell them that you will file a complaint with the BBB as well as with the IL Attorney General's Consumer Protection Division for unfair trade practices. Car dealers hate to have to answer those type of complaints so that can put pressure on them to allow you out of the contract even if they legally wouldn't be obligated to do so.
.
.
Thanks
Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs