Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation

I have a judgement from a sole proprietor company that is now

I have a judgement from a sole proprietor company that is now closed and I'm regretting not fighting the customer in court, does Wa State allow you to go back and reopen the case, they summoned me to court to show all bank statements and titles and returns, do I have to bring these items legally
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in litigation, among other disciplines. It is an privilege to assist you with this matter.

Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to reopen a civil case to which a judgment has been rendered in Washington. The only mechanism to continue the case would be to file an appeal. You generally have 90 days max to file an appeal from a judgment. That said, if new evidence has come to light since the rendering of the judgment that may have changed the outcome of the case and which was not available at the time of the litigation, then you can file what is termed a Motion to Reconsider before the court. This is very rare and the burden of proof is exceedingly high to re-open the case. However, if this evidence exists for evidence that was unavailable at the time of the original may have a slight chance.

You do have to bring the items that have been summoned to court. However, you can request that the court seal the records so that they do not enter the public domain and potentially cause you harm or embarrassment.

In summary, if your appeal time has passed, the only real mechanism to re-open the case anew is to file a motion to reconsider with new evidence that was not available at the time of the original judgment that could have changed the outcome if available. You do have to provide the information summoned, but you can request that the record be sealed to prevent this information from being leaked. You may also be able to file a motion to quash to preclude having to produce this documentation and request a hearing before the court to argue why you should not be required to produce that information.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Best wishes going forward!