How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32625
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father saved what he could during the last years of his

This answer was rated:

My father saved what he could during the last years of his life to give to my brothers sister and me. He was not a good father when we were young and said the least he could do now was to leave some money for us. Meanwhile in Jun 2003 Allan, a 'friend' of his, asked to borrow $60,000 & would pay him back when he sold his house. He paid my dad $5,000 in Dec 2006. That came with a note his wife wrote saying "This is a start to paying you back." That is all he was reimbursed on the loan. My father died in February 2009 at 91. This man knew my dad was saving the money for his kids. Even though my dad wrote a letter to Allan in Jun 2007, requesting he be paid back, he never received another dime.
I realize the loan was between the two of them, but wonder if my siblings and I can sue him for the balance of $50,000. Isn't this some kind of elder abuse?.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You can sue. That is, the estate of your dad can file suit. If he was owed money, then on his death, his estate has the power to pursue any legal claims he may have had.

The problem you may have is the statute of limitations.

Can you tell me, what state did your dad live in? And what state did Allen live in?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dad was in California, Allan moved from California to Oregon and that is where he lived when he asked for the loan.

Thank you

The statue of limitations in California is 4 years on contracts. In Oregon it is 6 years. And it is 4 years from the date of breach. So, for example, if the loan was in 2003 and this person was making payments on a regular schedule, and stopped, the time they stopped would be the "breach". The statue of limitations would begin to run on that date.

So what you describe, if the last payment was in 2007 (or that is when your dad demanded repayment? That would start the statute of limitations.

If the letter was in late 2007 (December) it MAY be you still have a shot to sue in Oregon. You would have to have an attorney in California open probate on your dad's estate, and then file a lawsuit in Oregon. Since this person was in Oregon when the contract was made, you can use Oregon as a venue (the place where you file the suit)

So in theory you could do this IF

1. No one has filed probate for your dad's estate

2. If the breach of contract occurred less than 6 years ago (or you can file the suit before the 6 years expires)

3. You can prove the contract. Since your father is deceased, you would need to prove the loan and the terms of the loan (including repayment schedule)

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: it may still be possible, though what you describe it sounds like you are out of time (since it sounds like the breach may have been before this date in 2007

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you Mr Simmons,


Yes, doesn't sound good. I wrote to Allan in 4/2007 and Dad wrote to him in June 2007. I guess I wasted time thinking he'd start to pay...boy am I gullible More than the money for my family and me, I feel bad because Dad did so many extra jobs so he could "leave us something." He didn't do all that to leave the money to Allan! Oh well, there are all kinds of people in the world. You did a good job in your research. Thank you.

Thank you Ma'am

I am very sorry to have to bear bad news

P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32625
Experience: 16 yrs. of trial experience
P. Simmons and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.