Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I worked for a remodeling company and they have not paid me.

I worked for a remodeling company and they have not paid me. They owe me $1000 and have been avoiding my calls and won't call me back. What recourse do I have? I have no written contract with them but I have other people who will vouch for me that I worked there. These people were not paid too. thank you

Roger : Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist.
Roger : Did you work as a subcontractor, or were you employed by the company?
Roger : You have a few options. You can file a materialmen's lien on the project for the money owed. Here's a link to the statues that relate to this:
Roger : The other option is simply to sue for breach of oral contract and seek a judgment for the amount due to yo.
Roger : *you.

I was employed by the company. They were a subcontractor who were hired by the contractor who was building the house.

Roger : Ok. In that case, your best option is likely to file a small claims action for breach of contract and seek a judgment for the money owed.

It sounds like a subcontractor has more recourses.

Is it better to be a subcontractor than employee? thank you

Roger : A sub has the right to file a materialman's lien, which is good if the job has not completed or if there is still money due from the owner to the contractor and subs.
Roger : But, unless a lien is paid after filed, you would still have to sue to enforce the lien and collect.