Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I sold several comic books to a dealer for $1,500 and afterwards

I sold several comic books to a dealer for $1,500 and afterwards found out that one alone is easily worth $4,000. I was low balled and "taken". What recourse do I have. I am calling and emailing the dealer but they are closed. I want my comics back (or at least the valuable one) or more money. Is the a grace period to undo the deal?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Unfortunately, there is no "Grace period" in Illinois when it comes to sale of used comic books to a dealer and I am afraid that if you accepted a payment for your comic books, this would constitute a valid legal contract and a legitimate transaction and someone in a situation similar to yours would not have any legal recourse, since the dealer is in business to make money and there is nothing illegal about the dealer trying to buy used books at the lowest possible price.

I know this is not an answer you were hoping to hear, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Given the fact that very little time went by and I have not cashed her check yet, it that still true?

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, my answer would still stand the same, even if the transaction was done recently and you did not cash the check payment for the comic books.

I am very sorry and I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. One more question and I will be finished. Can you recommend any non-legal action? She is a CGC member (a professional comic grading society) for instance...could they persuade her to do the right thing?

Also, I believe she is going to be a dealer at a comic book convention tomorrow. What if I confront her at the show...peacefully of course.

Thank you for your follow up.

You can try to contact this dealer and also you could file a complaint against this business with Better Business Bureau or peacefully try to discuss this matter with the dealer at the show, as long as, it is done at a peaceful and civilized manner.

I wish you the best of luck!