Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

My brother lives in Washington State and has been living on

My brother lives in Washington State and has been living on SSI and is in a SNF until they find him a new group home. Can a person outside of the state be Power of Attorney and do I have to go there in person? I live in Alaska

Thank you for your question. Please permit to assist you with your concerns.

That is a very good question. Typically the whole point of a Power of Attorney is to have someone easily accessible and available to make decisions. This is why the local courts heavily prefer someone located in the state as the POA holder. In this situation a POA would be possible if signed in Alaska, and notarized locally, but a POA obtained out of state does not have to be honored in-state, and likewise if you are not in the state, establishments or entities do not have to honor it if they cannot reach you, but in very specific instances an out-of-state person can be made a POA but only if that person can make it to the state if needed, and there is literally nobody else who can perform this service inside the state.

Hope that helps.