How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question

P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25407
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently enrolled in Walden Universitys online Doctor

Resolved Question:

I am currently enrolled in Walden University's online Doctor of Business Administration program and have been diagnosed with panic disorder with agoraphobia. I have requested an accommodation asking Walden University to allow me to take the final face-to-face residency virtually. The university has the means to do so, as they offer virtual residencies for other PhD programs. I understand that I was aware that the face-to-face residencies were a requirement prior to enrolling in the program, and attended a residency 2 years ago, but since my condition has worsened, I had to take a leave of absence from the program, I am now unemployable, considered 100% disabled by the VA, and home bound. I have since been reinstated in the program making strides to complete it one step at a time as I am in treatment. After formally requesting the accommodation with supporting medical documentation, this was the response I received:

Unfortunately, I cannot approve that specific request. Physical attendance at residency is considered an “essential component” of your program and not something I can alter or adjust as an accommodation. Some of the learning outcomes tied to the residencies cannot be achieved in a virtual environment. We’ve had conversations about this issue with the highest level of governance overseeing higher education in America on behalf of students with similar disabilities to yours. BotXXXXX XXXXXne, the university gets to decide what aspects of their programs are essential and maintain those standards. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but students who are not able to achieve the essential components of this program by meeting all the requirements, including physical attendance at residencies, are not “otherwise qualified” for the program. The residency requirements should not be new information for you.

I know this is not the answer you want and no one is questioning your justification for asking. We understand your disability issues and are sympathetic to the challenges you face. Your needs are only half of the equation, however. The other half is the responsibility of the university to deliver the curriculum. The university has determined it cannot deliver the curriculum in the manner it is accredited and to the degree expected by stakeholders without this essential program component. It’s important you understand, before you spend more time and money; Walden’s position has not and won’t change. If you cannot meet the residency requirement, I encourage you to consider a program that does not require it.

I hope you will make your health your priority and, if you and your doctors determine travel is not advisable, accept that this program is not the right one for you. However, if there’s a way you can travel to residencies, we will do all we can to make it work for you.


I am not clear as to why Walden University recognizes and does all they can for physical disabilities, but does not recognize mental illness. I understand the faculty may not want their justification to travel to exotic places and have a paid vacation disrupted, but having attended the first residency, I can attest to the fact that there is nothing presented in person that cannot be obtained virtually. The residencies include instructors reading PowerPoint slides, that are later e-mailed to the students for reference. I am not clear as to why I would have to subject myself to a traumatic situation to have PowerPoint slides read to me. We live in a climate now where there are many means to obtain information virtually, as this is an online institution. Walden University recruits students under the premise that they are a disabled-vet friendly school, and I believe it should recognize mental illness and make an honest effort to accommodate those that require an online venue to complete the residency.

Is there a recommended legal course of action I should consider taking? If nothing else, to do my part in starting the conversation to break the barriers mentally ill students have to face.
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is Philip. I am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

Though as I read the response from the school, I do not view it as they "(do) not recognize mental illness"

I read their response as to indicate that they have made legally required "accommodations" in your case.

Let me back up...

The laws that apply here are the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, amended in 2008,
and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973

These laws require colleges that receive federal funding to make "reasonable accommodations" for individuals with a a physical and/or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities. What you describe? You have that.

In order to require the college to follow the law, the student must first make a request for a reasonable accommodation. What you describe? You have done that.

The next step is for the college to evaluate the request and make a reasonable accommodation, if appropriate. This is where it gets complex...

The school is not required to provide you with a course substitution nor allow you to skip that requirement, if it would result in a substantial change to an essential element of the school's curriculum.

Schools are allowed to set their academic standards, and are not required to lower their standards
as a reasonable accommodation.

However, the school must undertake a diligent assessment of the available academic options before denying a request for a course substitution. If it determines that offering you a course substitution would lower academic standards or fundamentally alter an essential part of the school’s academic program, then the school may deny your request.

I read the response to you as the school claiming that it performed this assessment and they determined that they could not grant your request. This part is required by law...that is, you made the request, the school is required to respond to that request. They did. So they satisfied the legal requirement.

So...where does that leave you?

I agree with me it seems your request is reasonable and that it would not alter the academic standards or fundamentally alter an essential part of the school's program...that is, you are simply asking to perform this virtually what you would otherwise do in person.

So I think you have a case.

But at this point, since they have denied your request, your next step would be go to into federal court (since this is federal law that is in question) and ask the court to order the school make this accommodation. For this you need a lawyer.

Consider reaching out to local attorney who can help you prepare a suit...and, at the same time, they can draft a demand letter. This is a letter, on the attorney's letterhead, demanding they make the accommodation and promising suit if they do not comply. Many attorneys will draft one for a nominal fee (typically 1 hour billing rate or less). It may be this scares them into action

Let me know if you have more questions, happy to help if I can

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thank you very much for your prompt response. I just have one more question. The university has made it very clear that they will not accommodate this as "Walden’s position has not and won’t change. If you cannot meet the residency requirement, I encourage you to consider a program that does not require it."


If they get a demand letter and still don't accommodate it as according to them "We’ve had conversations about this issue with the highest level of governance overseeing higher education in America on behalf of students with similar disabilities to yours," would this be a federal suit that may require them to make the accommodation or a civil suit, assuming they won't comply.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.
It is federal suit since the law that applies is federal

It is a civil suit, since you sue in federal district court on the civil side.

So it is both a federal suit and a civil suit

Understand that they have the appeal would be to court.

But you may be surprised at how they change their tune if the receive a letter, from an attorney, promising suit under the ADA...
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25407
Experience: 16 yrs. of trial experience
P. Simmons and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
< Last | Next >
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.