alex reese
alex reese, Attorney
Experience:  BS, MS, JD

Has the patent run out on the teleprompter? Could I make and

Has the patent run out on the teleprompter? Could I make and sell one without issue?
Expert:  alex reese replied 5 months ago.

alex reese :

hello

alex reese :

the relevant question is probably more specific than that, patents rarely protect an entire class of products, but rather, specific aspects of those products. so there could be many patents that cover various aspects of a teleprompter, such that some teleprompters may be patented and others may not. So you really have to look at the specific features. for example, even if the original design has an expired patent, there could be improvement or variations on it that are patented, and those could be numberous.

alex reese :

numerous

alex reese :

I would start by looking at an existing teleprompter and do some research to see what patent the company claims it is covered by, if any, that's a good starting point. you can start with a very basic product as that will be most likely to no longer be under patent protection

Customer: So can a patent attorney help guide the development of a teleprompter by looking at what s out there?
alex reese :

yes they can help you with doing patent searches, guided by the features you are interested in

alex reese :

as well as consider any new novel features you might want to add

Customer: What I m attempting to do is manufacturer a teleprompter that does not get me in trouble, it i don't really care if I have a patent. Any thoughts
alex reese :

yes so you just need to make sure that the telepromter you want to make does not have patented features, so yes you would start with giving a patent attorney a description of what you want to make (e.g. provide an example of a product on the market) and they can do a search and anlayze any results

Customer: Alex, you are the best. Thanks for the information.
alex reese :

anytime, btw this is often referred to an a "freedom to operate" opinion or analysis, i.e. are you "free" to make/sell something or are there patents blocking the way

alex reese :

also, even if there is a patent covering some part of it, its not the end of the road, you can also try to get a license and just have to pay some royalty %

Customer: Oh.... Cool. Do you do those... Or are you involved in higher end products?
alex reese :

no i don't...but we cant offer such services to customers anyway (against the site rules ; ) )

alex reese :

you should have no prob finding a patent attorney to do that, theres plenty in CA

Customer: Ok, thanks and have a nice night.
alex reese :

best of luck!

alex reese, Attorney
Experience: BS, MS, JD