Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I had a question regarding an unmanned gym facility in the state of california. I wanted t

I had a question regarding an unmanned gym facility in the state of california. I wanted to know if I can own a gym that is over 6000 square feet. My building is over 6000 but when my employees will retire for the evening the recreational square footage of the facility will be under 6000. For example, we would lock doors to offices and storage rooms to get under the 6000 square foot law. During the day however the gym and offices and storage would equate to about 6400 sq feet. I hope this makes sense.
Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.

First of all, can you please tell me:

1) What county/city is this in?
2) Who told you that you CANNOT own a gym 6000 feet or bigger?
3) If there is a code/statute you are referencing, can you please mention it?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

this is in the orange county Ca, in the city of orange. Nobody has told us we cant, but everyone including the franchise Im currently working with, (Anytime Fitness) is very hazy and unsure about the actual law. I cannot find a statue or code to dissect the law.

Basically were trying to find out if the law is referring to gross square footage of unmanned space or recreational square footage of unmanned space.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, M.

There is no specific requirement under Orange County ordinances that a gym cannot be bigger than 6,000 sq ft. See here, and specifically see Title 5. There is no mention of this.

There is no mention of such a limitation in any of Ca codes, including Civil Code, Business & Prof. Code, or other related codes. See here.

As such, this would be perfectly allowed, one would think, provided that all licenses and certificates are received.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correctt. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thank you... I guess the wrinkle in this is that its not just a gym, but an unmanned gym. My franchise seems to be just as confused as everybody else.

Expert:  Ely replied 9 months ago.
M,

Oh, I see. Well, hopefully at this wrinkle is straightened out, but, make sure to confirm everything with the local authorities. Sometimes, local ordinance officers have a mind of their own. Also, different municipal laws may also apply (zoning, etc).

As for the franchise - good luck. Remember - they watch out for themselves before they watch out for you.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.