Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney

In May I requested, in writing, that my bank close my credit

In May I requested, in writing, that my bank close my credit card account. I have emails from my relationship manager saying the account was being closed and I received a refund check for the credit balance. Today I discovered that the bank did not close the account and actually accepted a charge in July from my insurance company who had that credit card on record. The charge was declined the first time it was made but the insurance company's system automatically retried and the bank accepted the charge the second time.

I was not aware of any of this because my online access to the account was cutoff by the bank. It is unclear if statements were mailed.

Am I legally responsible for the charge since it was accepted by the bank after they had informed me that they were closing the account?

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This is an unfortunate situation, you need to contact the insurance company as well and advise them you will pay them directly and not through the credit card,

In terms of the credit card you can sue them in small claims court for paying them the amount after the account was closed,

you should not be liable to pay them and have any further expenses,

If your insurance company was given the authority to directly take money out of the account,

they will not refund money, so it the the credit card company that would have to do it.