Joseph
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.

What is the deal with the use of the term "medicine" and "medical".

What is the deal with the use of the term "medicine" and "medical". I'm a massage therapist, and I see some therapists using the term "medical massage" and "manual medicine." Is this legal? My understanding was that the "practice of medicine" was a guarded term by the American Medical Association. Some clarity around the legal use of the term is appreciated. Thanks!
Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer,

My name isXXXXX am a licensed attorney, and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The use of the term 'medicine' and 'medical' are not guarded terms by the AMA and can be used by massage therapists and others.

For instance, there are many people who practice acupuncture, holistic healing, hypnotherapy, etc., who use the term 'medicine,' normally 'alternative medicine.' And they can say that they provide medical services.

Additionally, there is advertising and use of medicinal herbs as well.

The AMA does not have a copyright or trademark or any other form of protection on the terms medicine or medical, so if you want to use them in conjunction with healing massage therapy, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. (And, indeed, massage is a very valuable medical treatment for some).

I hope the above information is helpful.

Please let me know if you have any clarifying or follow up questions as I want to ensure that you are completely satisfied with my service.

If not, PLEASE remember to rate my answer POSITIVELY (Excellent Service) so I get credit for my work. I put significant time and effort into my answers, and DON’T receive anything for my work unless you rate my answer positively. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and is necessary even though you’ve made a deposit. Please also rate me highly (10) when you receive your customer satisfaction survey as well.

Thanks and best of luck!

-Joseph
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

So to clarify, if I stay within my scope of practice as a massage therapist, I can choose a business name of "Portland Manual Medicine" without being at risk of being legally shut down based on the name itself? (Assuming it isn't infringing on an already established business.)

Expert:  Joseph replied 8 months ago.
Hello Nye,

Yes, you wouldn't have anything to worry about as long as you are not infringing on the copyright or trademark of another established business with the same name.
Joseph, Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with significant and substantial experience in multiple areas of law.