How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Tina Your Own Question

Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33150
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in Ely, NV and have been blacklisted by my employer at

Customer Question

I am in Ely, NV and have been blacklisted by my employer at Subway. Many people have refused to give me an application and when I was able to get one I was treated in a very hostile way. I was told in an interview that my references were no good and my personal references were insulted. I was given dirty looks by every employee in the building. I attempted to apply at the railroad and a man twisted my arm and told me they were not going to hire me, I was told to get off the property at three places. When I try to get entry level jobs, The employees at job Connect tell me that I do not have the education or skills for the job and that I am under-qualified. I have very high math and English scores. I have tested at 92 - 98 percent. I am told that I do not know computer software, even though I am proficient in all Windows applications, Peach-tree, and Quick-books accounting software. The job interviews that I have had were friendly at first and then became hostile and very negative when I followed up.

What can I do? Moving will not do me any good because my references are bad.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have reason to believe the former employer is spreading false information about you?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do have reason to believe that my past employer is spreading false information about me because my last attourney told me to not to use them as a reference and told me to quit my job because the General Manager was saying terrible things about me. When I was at Subway the G.M. called up child protective services and told them to come in to talk. In front of me she accused me of having sex with my daughters and claimed that my daughters told her that we were having sex. I asked my daughters if this was true. They got angry and told me these were lies and that they never talked to her about this subject. They said they did not know why she say such bad things about me and them.

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for providing this additional information, Dale.

It certainly sounds as though the GM at your former employer is engaging in defamation against you, which involves the statements made to others, written or verbal, which the speaker knows or should know are false.

A lawsuit for defamation typically allows a plaintiff to seek compensation for damages they have sustained as a result of the defamatory statements, so you could receive a judgment against the speaker which they would have to pay you as compensation for injuries you have sustained due to the defamatory statements.

Such a suit can be difficult to prove, but since you have few options at this point because you are unable to locate employment because of the statements, it would be best to find a way to retain a local attorney to draft a demand letter to the former employer that they cease making the false statements, retract the statements made to the third parties and apologize. The demand could also request an amount to compensate you for your injuries to date in settlement of your claims.

If the employer wishes to avoid a lawsuit, this may be effective in resolving the situation and could be your most cost-effective approach to stop the continuing false statements.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate my service when I have answered your questions so I will be compensated for my time assisting you. Thank you!


Tina, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 33150
Experience: JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
Tina and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not retain a local attourney. No one will go against my previous employer. so far, no attourney wants to touch this. The other problem is I had an injury where I was kicked in the knee by a co-worker and my knee has been swollen and the tissue moves around inside the joint. Before I can sue I need an m.r.i. which I can not afford. There is video of the incident but I am not able to press charges for unknown reasons. The doctors I have seen will not make any statement that would help me. They are very vague in what they say. I have been harrassed by ones locally and told to move out of town, do my job search out of town or to injure the person who injured me.


Dale Jaussi

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Dale.

I'm sorry you haven't been able to locate an attorney to assist you. You may need to look for one in the nearest city who is not affiliated with your employer in any way. Sometimes it is more difficult to retain an attorney in more rural areas, especially against a well known or large employer.

It sounds as though you have a worker's comp claim against the employer if you were injured at work and that would require retaining a worker's comp attorney to assist you in seeking compensation for that injury. You don't need an MRI before pursuing a WC claim and should get it filed as soon as possible since there is a limited amount of time to do so before it will be time-barred. WC attorneys work on a contingency fee basis so there should be no fee unless they prevail on your behalf. You might want to look for one who can also help you with the defamation matter.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions